Wednesday, October 18, 2006

One Day at a Time

I'm looking forward to a looong weekend. I've taken off Friday and am going home tomorrow after work. It will be my first train ride in years and I'm excited about sitting and the opportunity to zone out for a few hours. My boss has agreed to let me leave early. I plan on working a little while on the train, so when I asked about heading out before 5:30, he graciously let me.

I'm looking forward to catching up with my family and also meeting some new people. Mike and I are going to a wedding in Asheville. So, part of the weekend will be spent in Asheville and the other in Winston. I can't wait!! I wish I was already there. Tomorrow is going to be long due to my anticipation. I haven't been home in a while.

The week has been great. The past few days have kind of been slow after last weekend.

My grandma, aunt, and cousin were in town. Also, Dave graced us with his presence over the weekend as well. Our time together flew by. Mal and I welcomed the chance to show the family "our city" and favorite places to go. The weekend was a mixture of planned events and places to go, but we also had time to relax and just enjoy one other.

After they arrived on Friday, we went to Bistro. Kaylor waited on us and I was impressed. He's getting better. All except the part about forgetting to ask Mallory what she wanted. Yeah. Poor Mal.

On Saturday we semi slept in before heading to the Air Force Memorial dedication. The ceremony was on the grounds of the Pentagon, where the memorial stands tall against the sky a few hundred yards away. President Bush and Donald Rumsfeld spoke. I was more impressed with the airshow than any of the speeches.

After catching the ceremony, we headed to Thaiphoon, one of the best Thai restaurants that we've found. From there, we came back to the house and enjoyed a relaxing evening as we played Apples to Apples. I love that game. It prompted great stories and some contagious laughter.

Sunday came too quickly. We headed to Eastern Market after first grabbing brunch at Bread and Chocolate. While the food was okay, the company is what made the meal. After dining and shopping away the afternoon, we headed back to the house for some great conversation, some political chatter, and (later) some homemade dinner. Grandma made us her yummy noodles and Drew made a delicious salad, complete with toasted goat cheese and homemade dressing. The entire meal was fabulous and the perfect way to end the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to come back!!!!