Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A little bit of action

I can't believe that it's almost the middle of July. The month is going by quickly.

Last Thursday I had the chance to be observed by one of the Directors at the Pregnancy Center. My observation would determine whether or not I am ready to "go it alone" and counsel on my own.

It was a smooth evening. There was another counselor there and between the two of us we had four appointments on the books. I saw two very different women and was reminded that each client who walks through the door is so unique. I was humbled by their stories and perseverance and find myself changing because of them. There's much to be offered, but also much to learn.

At the end of the evening, I got two thumbs up and "passed" my observation test. The Director gave me several touching compliments and said that I will be receiving a certificate! Nice! So, I've passed the easy stuff (written course, observation hours, etc.)- now comes the real journey. I'm planning on seeing clients two to three nights a month. I feel really good about this and am anxious to see where this path leads. I know that I am on it for reasons bigger than I can understand.

Last weekend was fast and enjoyable. Robby had a friend in town who stayed at our house (in Mal's empty room). Also, Drew and I had a friend who was visiting from out of town. While she didn't stay at our house, we met up a few times throughout the weekend. One night we all went out dancing and played pool with some other folks. On another day, we caught the new Transformers movie. Awesome, by the way. I was swept back to my childhood as the 80's memories washed over me.

On Sunday, I joined some much missed friends from church. We had brunch in Union Station and then I headed home for a relaxing Sunday afternoon and evening.

This week has been a little slower at work. My boss is in Africa and there's only so much busy work I can do without needing a break from the boringness of it.

Tonight Drew and I are going to a play- Dead Man's Cell Phone. It sounds interesting and it's been a while since I did anything culturally engaging. So, I'm looking forward to it. It's playing at a local theatre located right off the bus route that runs in front of our apartment. Yay! We don't have to walk far in the sticky, muggy DC weather.

Soon enough Drew, Robby, and I will begin looking for a new housemate. Mallory has moved her things and the room looks empty and sad. I'm open to living with three guys, so I think we'll interview guys and gals for the room. While living with three guys is a bit scary, if we find another guy similar to the ones I live with now, I'll be okay. Plus, it would force me to make some deeper female friendships here in DC. I'll be wanting to get out of my testosterone filled house and hang out with a sane (read: female) person!

No comments: