Thursday, January 08, 2009

Stillness

The house is quiet. We are all here, but doors are closed as we charge behind them. It seems almost unspoken. I need quiet. Let me stretch and give me peace. There's not a hint of negativity in the air. These nights are far and few between yet I love them when they come. Solace comes from stillness.

The week has been busy and fast. Work was like a tsunami as it engulfed me the first few days. Now it washes back and there's little damage. Some stress still lingers, but it will pass and with its passing comes growth. I've learned a lot this week and it feels good. I was also pretty sick this week. I even took some time away from the office just to sleep. This morning was the first time I was able to actually breathe through my nose for the first time in days. The times that I am sick always make me appreciate those when I'm not. How blessed I am to wake up pain free most days. To not feel like walking death or long solely for covers makes me grateful.

I wish I knew how to play the guitar. It's a thought that has struck me more than once this week. It's a random thought, but I thought I'd share it. Maybe putting it in writing will make me actually do something about this desire. The promise of a guitar mixed with the emotions of a being can come out in a magical way. I guess it's another form of art. Still... sometimes a tone or pitch can express far more than any word. If I had a guitar, I'd be playing it now as I sit alone in my room. Instead, I am listening to someone else through my speakers who has mastered this art and probably plays it on nights like these.

My orientation for school is on Monday. I don't know too much about Monday night except that I am one of 15 in my class. I wonder who I will meet. Will we stay in touch beyond this year? Will I share more of my life with them than moments in a classroom setting? Will they of theirs? Orientation is at six and they're serving us a "light" dinner of salad and pizza. It's then that I will learn of all the books I must buy. Days of being an undergrad flood back as I stood in the book store and looked for any of my books marked "used" on their spines. Ah, the life of a student again! Am I crazy?

I spent time with Kat tonight. She came for dinner and we caught up over canned Indian food and delicious chardonnay. Followed with French-pressed coffee and truffles. It wasn't a shabby meal! I'm so thankful for her friendship.

Tomorrow is Friday. I can't believe it. There isn't too much in store for the weekend. I think we're going out dancing tomorrow night at a much-loved (by us) club here in DC. It's easy to get to by bus and there's an eclectic crowd that's drawn there. On Friday nights they play obscure and up-and-coming international hits. It makes me think of Drew. It also makes me feel pretty hip as the songs hit the club before mainstream America.

Beyond tomorrow night, I have nothing in store. Kat and I talked of going to a bookstore and reading together but separately. A friend nearby and other world in my hand. It's not a bad idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better and making fun plans for tonight. Never be bored and learn to appreciate all of your quiet moments. It is great to just let our minds rest once in a while.