Monday, December 07, 2009

Reflectons of the Season

Yesterday was filled with new memories. Marie and I brought home a Christmas tree that we purchased. The experience itself was probably humorous to other shoppers at Home Depot. Marie and I had just left church and were in our heels. There's nothing like two women in Sunday attire trying to maneuver a 7' Christmas tree. Sap was all over our hands and branches were batting at our faces. It was probably a pretty entertaining sight as we shouted directions to one another and tried to figure out the best way to lift and shift it in the cart.

Regardless, the tree made it home and it's beautifully decorated now! Marie, Danielle, Catalina, and I set it up and strung the lights. An angel adorns it and there are even some sparse ornaments! Marie and Danielle also put up other lights throughout the house. The rooms smell of fresh Frasier fir and are lit with candles and small lights. It's so festive!

To kick off the season, we had a roomy dinner of crepes and cider. All six (!) of us were home and it made for a fun evening.

I can't help but smile as I think about what the season means. It's a time of love and sharing. Isn't that what the Christmas message is all about? Giving something bigger than yourself and sharing moments with people you love. It's not about consumerism. It's about shared memories. Stolen glances with a loved one. A wink across a dinner table. Laughter filling the air. Warm hugs and endearing kisses. Comfort and warmth that's only found with people who know you almost as well as you know yourself.

It all started with the biggest love offering: the unconditional gift of a baby for the world.

I came across this song in my Christmas playlist and I thought you may enjoy it. Ever wonder what it was like to be in those private moments with baby Jesus? Did he cry often? What was it like to hold the Savior of the world? Did his baby smell trump that of all other babies? What was it like for Joesph, an earthly father fully entrusted by the Heavenly One, to care for Mary and a baby boy? Here's a song by MercyMe called "Joseph's Lullaby" that may be a new favorite. Make sure to check out the lyrics:

Go to sleep my Son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head

Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child

Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, Sleep tight
Happy reflecting...

2 comments:

Dean said...

Never have seen or heard that song...oh thank you for sharing,,Merry Christmas..love you friend...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Someone with great writing inspired this music.