Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Second Job: Jury Purgatory

Last week, when I reported for my federal jury duty summons, I was bright eyed and full of wonder at what I would learn about our judicial system. Turns out, it is pretty incredible. After waiting about an hour, I was whisked away with about 100 other potential jurors, all being vetted for the same case.

We were all shuffled into the federal courtroom that sits in a stone building in the heart of downtown D.C. We filed into the rows where an audience would observe a case. Paintings of robed judges hung on the walls. Besides the paintings, the walls were a pristine and a boring white. They rose high and met the ornate ceiling. We potential jurors were introduced to the lawyers, the clerks, and the defendants. Then, when the intros were complete, the judge entered the room. We rose and watched him saunter to his seat. He read us the basics of the case and reminded us that the accused are innocent until proven guilty.

What a concept. I'm so happy to live in a country where we uphold that basic right.

When we potential jurors had heard the facts of the case and familiarized ourselves with the players, we were then asked to fill out a 20+ page questionnaire pertaining to the case and our opinions about general concepts (think: immigration, gangs, and crime). The judge, lawyers and defendants left us to our questionnaires. Only the clerks remained and in that brief moment I thought how it must be such a pain for the lawyers and judge to come in only for those brief moments. I bet they get sick of those tedious appearances over and over again. Then I remembered their salaries and didn't feel as bad for them.

After completing my questionnaire and handing it to the clerk, I was then given a piece of paper with call back instructions. Little did I know that paper I would become best friends over the next week+.

I left the court and was greeted by the sunshine. I wondered how many people had gone into that building and left with their lives altered completely by a sentence handed to them. Freedom felt really good.

As I walked to the Metro, I passed by an early voting location and cast my ballot, beating most of my fellow DCers to the polls. I watched my ballot go into the machine and noticed that only 14 other people in my precinct had voted prior to me. That was enough to push me over my patriotic edge! Jury duty and voting- all within the same day? It felt good!

Three days later, my Thursday was a different story. I literally sat all day (with the exception of a lunch break) in the jury holding room until they called my number at 4:30. I walked to the counter, where I met the woman who held my fate. Would I be back? Had I been selected? Could I go about my normal life again?

She handed me a paper with a number on it- the same number I'd seen before. She crossed my name off her list with her highlighter while simultaneously saying the same instructions I'd heard her tell the person in front of me, "call this number after 5 tomorrow for your instructions regarding Monday."

Tired from doing nothing and listening to CNN all day, I begrudgingly took the paper and walked myself out of the stale room.

Fast forward again. Today was a little different and way more entertaining. Sure, I spent half the day in jury purgatory. I waited in the room, endured CNN's stories, and knocked out some of my real work via the internet. But then... a break in the monotony! My number was finally called (along with the remaining eight others left in the room that holds about 300+ people). We followed the clerk to the judges chambers, where he left us in a small Board room with no instructions. Everyone was silent, but I could tell that they (like me) were just happy to see another room.

I broke the ice, "well at least we have a change of setting!" That seemed to make a few people chuckle, then everyone settled back into silence. A couple minutes went by with no clerk. Papers and blackberries came out. I pulled out an Express and made it three pages before the clerk returned. He called only my number and I followed him to the courtroom, leaving behind my comrades. I entered and there were all the players again: the lawyers, more clerks, the defendants, and the judge. I was shown where to sit- in the witness box. How exciting!! I felt like a little kid and a foreigner to the process. Keeping myself together, I looked at the judge for an explanation.

He explained that I had been called to expand on some answers from the original questionnaire I had completed. He held it up and we dove into it. He asked me about three of the questions and I answered. After each answer I gave, the judge nodded and turned to the lawyers to ask if they had "further questions?" There was only one instance where I had to answer another question posed from one of the lawyers. Overall, it was pretty awesome- no lie.

I go back again Tuesday (today) to find out more about my role in this case. Who knows what will happen? I feel like I'm in purgatory- waiting in limbo until I find out if I'll have a second job for the next 4-6 weeks (yes, that's how long the case is estimated to run).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wondering if you will sit on the jury for the Chandra Levy trial! Thought the way you presented 'waiting' was so interesting. XOXOX

Dean said...

Your the only person I know that can make this seem so great. When I have to do my duty I almost loss my mind...and I know most of the people on trail...not good...


See I keep up with you writings...

Meredith said...

The case wasn't for Chandra Levy, although I had a lot of people ask me! I need to post the next chapter on this :)

Thanks, Dean, for the encouragement. I count you as one of my biggest blog fans! :)