Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Out with the Old and In with the New

Last Wednesday night I crept back to my office while no one was there. It was time to bid it farewell. The halls were dark and quiet. Not a soul stirred while I organized files, shredded old papers, threw away miscellaneous items and straightened things up for my predecessor.

I was saying goodbye to an era and a transformative time in my life. It was my first "real" job in DC. I wasn't a temp passing my time at the Library of Congress and I'd felt a calling to the work there. I worked my way up from an administrative assistant to a manager with cross-team experience and historical knowledge of the company. I made lifelong friends there and also learned a lot about leadership.

Nearly five years was spent there and I worked for four different bosses. It took me about three hours to organize and pack up my office. Two trips up and down the stairs to empty out trash and recycling bins. And the night ended with one snap of a picture... my abandoned desk.

Cheers, Council... I had a blast.

2 comments:

Dean said...

Very nice..way to go girl....Proud to know YOU!

Anonymous said...

Yep, this was a good job for you while you had it. This chapter is closed and new opportunities ahead.
Praise the Lord!