Monday, April 04, 2016

Walking in Love

Life's been busy. This weekend I attended two baby showers, one of which was for a woman who attended the parenting class that I voluntarily teach at the Greensboro Pregnancy Care Center (GPCC). She is due in six weeks and is SO excited about being a mom!

It was about three months ago when I met her. She and her boyfriend attended the eight week class faithfully and they were so engaged in the class as they always asked questions and soaked up the information I threw at the attendees. About the fourth week of class, the mom-to-be (I'll call her Ashley) stayed after class and told me a little of her story. I always love when I hear peoples' stories and I was blessed to hear part of hers. You see, Ashley is in college and is a junior. She never thought she'd be able to get pregnant due to health issues she's had. So, she was surprised when she got pregnant, but she was also scared. This baby was unplanned. Her boyfriend (I'll call him Jay) was pressuring her to get an abortion. He too was a student in college and not "ready" to be a dad. So, Ashley went to a clinic in Greensboro that administers abortions. She told me that she got a pregnancy test there that confirmed her pregnancy and got the information about an abortion, but she didn't feel peace about it. 
As God would have it, she called and visited the Greensboro Pregnancy Care Center. She met with a trained, Christian counselor who spoke with her about her pregnancy and offered HOPE. Ashley left the Center feeling uplifted and encouraged. She now saw this baby as the miracle it is. She spoke with Jay and they decided to keep the baby she was carrying!! It was a few weeks later when I met them both in class. When I met them, I had no idea of their history; their excitement at becoming parents was all I saw.
What a blessing and honor it was to attend the co-ed shower they had yesterday. Mom-to-be was glowing. Dad-to-be was sporting a shirt with his daughter's name on it (I love it!!!). God is so amazing and is working every day at the Greensboro Pregnancy Care Center. I can't help but wonder who this baby will be and what she will do. Will she be a great physician, a teacher, a mom herself or perhaps an author who inspires other with the words she writes? Maybe all of those?!

I share this story with you so you'll catch a glimpse as to what the GPCC is doing. I am participating in their upcoming Walk for Life, where we are raising money and awareness for an organization that is standing in the gap between LIFE and death. Between HOPE and discouragement. Between JOY and guilt. GPCC offers free classes, free ultrasounds and STD testing, counseling and material resources for men and women facing an unplanned pregnancy. They are even unveiling a mobile unit that will be traveling in Greensboro and the Triad area to help those who don't have transportation to the Center!

I hope you'll be touched by what I've shared and will consider supporting my fundraising efforts here. My goal is to raise $3000 and I'm halfway there thanks to generous supporters! ALL of the proceeds will go directly to the Center where people like Ashley and Jay will be impacted and babies will be saved. Will you consider an investment in the people of Greensboro? How about in the next generation??

ANY prayer and/or financial support is welcomed. Thanks for making a difference in our community and world!

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. 
As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." 
- 2 John 1:6

No comments: