Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Purple State of Mind

My weekend social calendar began as soon as I clocked out on Friday.

I attended an event called Purple State of Mind at Ebenezer's, a coffee house owned by my church. You can actually read about it here and see pics of Friday night on the first link. I was almost in the second picture, but was one row too far back!

Anyway, the event was a viewing of a documentary that two friends shot in which they talk about Christianity. The two guys met as freshmen roommates at Davidson College, a Christian college in Charlotte, NC. One of the guys, John, was a devout Christian when they met and the other, Craig, was not. Craig came to Christ his freshman year of college while John denounced the faith and set out to understand why people believed.

The documentary is a candid conversation about their friendship, but more so about Christianity. They address some important issues: politics, homosexuality/ sexuality, family, Jesus, violence and war, the "end times" from an evangelical perspective, and other topics. The topics are deep and exploratory. Their emotions are raw and their honesty borders on uncomfortable. John and Craig dive into deep waters and each with the geniune desire to understand the other.

After the documentary was shown, John and Craig answered questions from the audience. I was there for about three hours. I bought the documentary and Mark's book, Reasons to Believe: One man's journey among the evangelicals and the faith he left behind. I think Marks asked some great questions and the questions are ones that I'm trying to find my voice and own some answers.

I'm hoping to show the documentary to others in order to get some conversations started. It's a great film and I'm eager to talk about it!

No comments: