Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Storm... and afterwards

I've enjoyed a relaxing evening after what was a busy few days. I can't believe it, but Mallory is finally married. All that wedding talk and the day finally arrived.

It was great to see family that I hadn't seen since the holidays or before. I saw saw some whom I hadn't seen in a year or two. There were friends I'd missed for longer than that.

The rush of the days leading up were a blur. Somewhere in there we managed to decorate the reception hall, have some family bonding (and drama), get our nails done and put last minute touches on decorations. Here are a few pictures pre-wedding.

As maid of honor (MOH) I had the privilege of delivering Dave his gift from Mallory. A signed Wake Forest football from one of the games. Needless to say, he was pretty excited. Other pics are of us bridesmaids getting ready. I also took some pictures with an old school 35mm that I'm having developed, so I'll post them in a few days when I get them back from CVS. For now, enjoy these few and a link that Mal sent of her proofs.



My favorite moments from the wedding: watching Dave look at Mal while she walked down the aisle, seeing Mal kiss my dad as he hugged her at the alter, being only one of a few people who could hear Mal and Dave's first prayer as husband and wife while they prayed by their unity candle, watching my dad dance to "Brown Eyed Girl" with Mal, sharing my thoughts in a toast (and not breaking down while giving it!), signing their wedding license, and watching their faces lit by candle light as they ran to their car at the end of the evening.

While the weekend was wonderful, it was also a relief to return to "normal mode" on Sunday night. I left my car in NC and rode up with some of my DC friends who went to the wedding. I'm going to attempt this car-free thing in hopes that it will make me more care-free. ;) I'm looking forward to trying to live 100% city life. Delivered groceries, bus rides, train trips, and lots more walking! I'm going to try it for a few months. If I can make it with few hiccups, I'll sell my car and put the cash towards a future car (to be bought when I leave DC or fate decides something else).

Monday night began Screen on the Green. I met a few of my Leadership Group friends for Dr. No on the Mall. This is my third summer in DC and I'm definitely taking advantage of it. I know that DC summers officially begin when the roaches crawl on the sidewalks and Screen on the Green graces the Mall. I love it (minus the roaches). It was fun catching up with some friends and also meeting a couple new folks who were there. Check out some pics:

It's my goal to check out Jazz in the Garden either this week or next. It's free on Friday night and takes place in the Sculpture Garden (where Mal and Dave were engaged). There's nothing like starting the weekend with a picnic dinner, bottle of wine, dear friend(s), and jazz floating in the air while folks buzz around the fountain and art.

Last night I went to the pregnancy center and had a good night there. I saw two clients, both of whom came for pregnancy tests. I was a little nervous because last time I was there I had a really touching case and was a mess when I left the center. I think between the stress of prepping for Mal's wedding and dealing with personal demons was enough to push me over the edge. It was a tough night a couple weeks ago. So, last night was encouraging and I was thankful that God let me meet the women I did.

Tonight I'm going to check out Wall-E with a friend from the past. He was best friends with Ben in high school and thus friends with me. We got together two months ago for the first time in nine years. Crazy! It was weird to hang out with someone here in DC who knew me when I was in high school. Tim's attending seminary in Alexandria. The plan is to catch up some more over dinner and then see the flick. I've heard good stuff about Wall-E and Tim is always entertaining, so I'm looking forward to the evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the wedding! Getting to see DI and Jeanne and meeting Janet and David. I wish everyone could have stayed till Wednesday. I didn't even recognize Scot. You were beautiful and your toast was wonderful. I think your Mother is going to recover and return to us as the woman we use to know.( and able to walk and talk together!) I will tell you when she comes back. Love you Girlfriend!