Friday, July 09, 2010

The butterfly- 918C

My jaw dropped when I saw some of these pictures. Here's a link to what 918C has become. They gutted all her apartments and turned it into one home. She's beautiful.

I'll always remember 918C fondly as my first DC home. She was quaint, cozy and charming despite her make-shift bathroom, droopy ceilings, a ghetto climbing ladder to reach the drier and the occasional mouse. Sadly, I have no pictures of 918C for comparison when we lived there. I do, however, have memories that will forever be ingrained. It was the location of our first holiday party, Mal and Dave's engagement party, Mal's bachelorette shower and countless get-togethers with friends. 918C's porch was the location of many late night chats, some cries and many jack-o-lanterns. Her steps were creeky and windy, making it impossible for any bed larger than a double to proceed to the second floor. All her windows were drafty and stuffed with plastic bags held in place by duct tape. Still, she offered comfort and ease. I had some of my best naps in that middle bedroom and grew the most I've grown while living in that house.

She's transformed now and is almost unrecognizable, like an old friend after many years. Still, I'll never forget her as she was.

1 comment:

Dean said...

That place is beautiful! It calls out your name and said, buy me I truly belong to you. Oh forget it, that was you crying out...At least you can say, I lived at that address at one time....