Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Our Engagement Story

It's been a while coming, but I thought I'd share it for those who haven't heard "the story"...

I never expected that our quaint picnic lunch would turn into the most life-altering, mountain-top experiences of my life.  It was the day after Christmas when Mike told me he wanted to go on a picnic lunch.  The weather was really mild for the day and we thought we'd escape the busy-ness of family gatherings by having some quality time together. 

He wouldn't tell me details about where we would picnic until we got in the car.  As we drove, details were revealed as the mountains crept into view.  Our destination was Hanging Rock, a local well-known place in the NC mountains for "easy" hikes and fantastic views.   After stopping for our sub sandwiches, we parked the car and began the "easy hike" Mike had promised.  He'd even told me I didn't need to change from my ballet flats.  "I think it's paved most of the way to the top," he said.  Well, this girl knows better. I took one look at the mountain and the vertical expectations and slipped into some tennis shoes I had in the car.  Good thing too!  The paved sidewalk ended at about 200 yards.  From there, it was a 1.5 mile hike to the top.

After several pauses to look at scenery (aka, I had to catch my breath so I made excuses to look at rocks and trees), we finally made it to the top.  And it was breathtaking in its own way!  The sky was clear and we could see for miles. 

After taking in the view for a few minutes, we settled in for lunch.  Mike spread out his jacket for us to sit on and I began unpacking our subs.  Normally, Mike is all about the food.  So, I was a little surprised when he wasn't helping me unpack our picnic.  In the next minute, I learned why he was uninterested.

"I have a question to ask you before we eat…" he began with emotion in his voice.  I looked up from unpacking to see his face and then his hand, which he had between us.  In it was a beautiful ring.  I paused and so did he.  Emotion was overcoming him and all he could do was smile.  I waited while smiling and realizing this moment was going to alter our lives forever.  "…if I can ask it…" he paused again with twinkling eyes.  Eyes full of hope, joy, tenderness and love.
It was then that he asked me to marry him.  After celebratory kisses and hugs, he pulled away and said, "and there's someone special here!"  He pointed to my right where my sister was standing with camera in hand, snapping our picture!  Tipped off by Mike, she had been following us all afternoon, from house to restaurant to mountain-top, in order to capture our special day on film.  She had endured and also survived the 1.5 mile vertical climb I had!!
When I reflect on our engagement, I can't help but hope that it's a metaphor for our marriage.  Marriage has ups and downs and is a journey where hand holding is required.  Like a mountain climb, it may seem tougher at times and have moments where life gives you pause, but in the end there are some amazing views if you work together.


3 comments:

Life... said...

Such a beautiful story, one that you will surely remember and cherish for all the days ahead. Many wonderful blessings to you and your hubby to be :) Cheers :-)

mamashell said...

What a beautiful story Mer. I again want to wish you and Mike all the best. Congratulations !!

Ericka Brown said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations, Mike and Mere! May God continue to bless you and guide you always!! <3 Love to you both!!