Saturday, May 24, 2014

Our Meteor Shower Experience

Isaac woke me at 3:15 this morning and when he was done eating it was then I read about the meteor shower supposedly peaking at that time (2-4 AM EST). Isaac was back in bed so I walked outside to check out the shower. It was brilliant!! There were meteors falling all over in shorts bursts and they were as bright as planes. It was like no shower I had seen before. I watched for about thirty seconds and decided it was a show that Mike needed to see. I went back in the house and woke him.

"Mike!! There is a meteor shower outside and it's awesome. You should come see it. The meteors are like planes they are so bright and they are falling all around us!" 

Groggily he woke and he came outside with me. We sat in chairs on the porch and looked to the sky. Immediately, they were flashing.

"Look!" I pointed in the direction I saw one. "Did you see that one!?" I was so excited. How lucky were we to wake up and see this?

Mike paused. "That was a lightning bug."

Psh. I countered. "No, it was a meteor." 

We sat another thirty seconds and I saw another one. "How about that one? Did you see it?!"

"That was another lightning bug." 

It was then I realized two things. I really need new glasses and I had just woken my husband from a dead sleep to come watch bugs.

We sat there another 15 minutes staring into space and actually saw a really big meteor and two smaller ones (and tons more lightning bugs!). So, it wasn't for nothing. Additionally, it gave us something silly to laugh about.

On another plus side, regardless of cloud coverage, if I want to see another shower, I just have to put on my glasses and go outside again tonight!


No comments: