Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Commitments

It was good to be home (NC) over the holiday weekend. My train ride to Richmond on Thursday night was uneventful and I loved it. The car was mostly empty and it allowed me to catch up on some note writing and gazing. I arrived in time for dinner, which Mal made perfectly: bbq chicken, corn on the cob, broccoli and a fruit medley of strawberries and blueberries. Mmm. We were able to talk Dave into running out for ice cream later.

The three of us packed the car on Friday morning and drove to NC. I was surprised by the light traffic on the road. Seems that gas prices really took a toll on travel plans this year. That and I also haven't been on the road the past couple of Memorial Days. I've spent them in DC.

We knocked out a lot of Mal's wedding details this weekend. I know that she's feeling better about having some things done and plans made for the next couple weekends and The Day.

I have two more planned trips to NC in the next couple of months- one for vacation in two weeks and the other for the wedding. After that, NC is not on my radar and I have mixed feelings about it. I've always had an NC date on my calendar. For two years I have. In two months I won't. That feels weird.

Drew is leaving for France in September. He's been accepted into a school in Paris that's a big deal. Marie moved in over the weekend. We had a roomy dinner tonight with all four of us (including Matt) present. It was fun. Marie cooked a scrumptious meal. I made dessert.

Drew has asked me to take over his lease and I've agreed. While I probably would have stayed in DC for my job, signing a lease again makes it all the more real. It's a solid deal and I won't be moving again until at least May 2009. It's a bit intimidating, but I think how fast two years has gone and I wonder where I'll be in another two. Here?

No comments: