Friday, May 04, 2007

My birthday!

So, I had the best birthday this year!

My morning started with a text message from my cousin and call from dad.

The weather was beautiful all day. Spring is here! The flowers are blooming and there's a sweet hint of newness in the air.

For lunch, I went to eat with some co-workers. They let me chose the location, so I picked my favorite (closest) Japanese restaurant. I had sushi for the for time in a few weeks and it was yummy. Rich gave me a card and let me head out almost an hour early.

When I arrived home, Mal and Drew were acting all weird and I knew that a secret was in store. We hopped in the car and went to Chinatown for dinner. As we arrived at Jaleo, a tapas restaurant I'd never tried, I was greeted by a couple of my friends. Yay for surprise birthday parties! In total, about ten people dropped by to wish me a good one. Some stayed for dinner, some only made it for cake, but their presence was loved regardless of time spent. Even Christian made it!

I was VERY impressed by Mal's coordination and secret keeping.

When the meal was over, our waiter brought out my birthday cake. Mallory had it personalized for our next secret activity. It said- "Baby... oh, sweet baby. Nobody puts Meredith in the corner (especially on her birthday)."


After dinner, Mal had bought herself and me tickets to a special Dirty Dancing showing at one of the theaters in Chinatown. Apparently, it's the "20th Anniversary" year and they had special viewings for two nights. So, the two of us went to the show after dinner.

By the time we got to the theater, the movie has started and was packed! We found two seats together on the front row and watched the next hour's worth with our heads tilted almost completely backwards to see the screen! :) The audience was really involved. There was a lot of clapping, hooting, and hollering at certain parts and lines. When it was done, the lights came on and I glimpsed at my fellow movie-goers. It was an estrogen festival! I think I saw maybe ten men in the whole theater. They were probably poor "first daters" who'd been dragged there or sweet husbands who'd popped some Prozac before the movie.

When the evening was almost over, and we'd left the theater for our car, Mallory topped it off by handing me a present. It was a fun red and white, strapless dress that I had eyed and commented on a week before!

She's good.

Between my awesome sister and incredibly supportive, loving friends and family, this year was an amazing birthday. 26 here I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've watched Dirty Dancing lots of times with you all. My favorite part is after she has had the abortion and is still bleeding.
Mallory asked you what was wrong with her - you so innocently said
I guess she was sick!