Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mothers

Newborn babies have terrible vision (not unlike myself without contacts or glasses). In their first couple of months, their sight is limited to about 12 inches. They're legally blind and most of what they can see is blurry... except Mama. Research shows that even 4-day old babies look longer at their mothers' faces than at the faces of others who hold them.

There's an instant bond with our moms that starts even before those four days. As babies in the womb, we hear her voice and heartbeat while the rest of the world hears other things.

Likely, she's the first one who ever told you of your beauty. To her, you're the most beautiful creature in the world. She's the first to have touched you, to have even moved her hand over her belly as you kicked or turned. It's her voice that can calm fears, offer words of wisdom and give pep talks.

I didn't get to see my mom today, but I did get to hear her voice. Her voice twinkles with rays of light. I can picture her smile on the other end of the line. The crinkles at the edge of her eyes dance with joy. I imagine her eyes, full of love and radiating. She's beautiful. I'm so blessed to call her mine.

My mom's hugs are always 100%. They are tight and sometimes involve a slight sway to them. Whether there's a sway or not, however, there are always two arms. And the hugs are long. She knows the perfect length of time to hug me. When she pulls away, she'll often hold my arms and stare into my eyes like she's giving me more to take with me. In case I need to go back to the hug, I remember her eyes. They are a beautiful blue and sometimes glossy with tears. Love tears. Whether they are happy, sad, hopeful or prayerful, those eyes always say the things I know she'd say aloud if she knew what to say. Often, "I love you, Meredith Duncan" is what I'll hear. But her eyes say even more than those words.

I'm so grateful to have a mother as beautiful as mine. She's an encourager and her love for God pours out of her. Whether it's to a stranger in a check-out line or her own mother, my mom treats everyone the same and I admire that about her. I want to be like that... to be like her.

As years go by, my appreciation for my mom has deepened. She's become a true friend. One that occasionally tells me what to do in that mother voice, but still... a friend. ;)

Thanks to all you moms out there for all that you do.

And a special thanks to my mom. My teacher, healer, counselor, peace-maker, comedian, mentor, protector, encourager, play-mate, listener and friend. I love you.

- Your Baby Blue

2 comments:

Dean said...

Two thumbs UP!

Anonymous said...

OH dear, I am just reading this! I have "moist" eyes from reading what you wrote. :-) Thank you for saying such sweet things but it is I who am blessed to have been given such dear children from God.
Anything good that I did was mirrored from your grandmom,my mom.