Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Spring

I've felt really good lately. Maybe it's the fresh air or the flowers or the green that's on everything right now. Check out some of these flowers I saw on a recent run (Some of the images are kind of blurry. Flip phone cameras aren't known for their fantastic picture resolution):





There's a joy that sneaking back into my spirit and I imagine that it has something to do with that basement apartment that has my name on it across town. Mal is getting a new home and I'm fortunate enough to be moving in with her. Not into an upstairs room, however. This (newly 30-year-old) is finally moving into my own space! After five years of living in a group house with no fewer than three other roommates (and at most five other), I'm going to call a little corner of the world my own. My own bathroom, bedroom, living area and even mud room!! Hey-yo! Plans are to move within the month and I'm pumped. I'll post some pictures when I arrive.

Other updates (since, my longest hiatus EVER): I turned 30. Oh wait... I wrote that already. I lost weight and blogged about my journey here. I traveled: New York City & Brooklyn, Marco Island (FL), Myrtle Beach (SC), and the Shenandoah Valley (VA). I dove into a Bible study with a new small group at my church and am looking forward to the mission trips announcement. I'm pumped about going on a mission trip in the fall and can't wait to find out where the church is going!

My family and friends helped me ring in my 30th birthday this past weekend. My mom and grandma came up from NC and SC to visit- surprising me on Friday by showing up to the restaurant where I was about to dine! The whole weekend was filled with festivities, laughter and love. On Saturday evening, I Skyped with my dad as he and my mom gave me a meaningful gift that I will treasure. I was given a diamond necklace that he gave my mom the week I was born. She was 30 years old when she had me and my dad gave it to her a few days after my birth. I've always admired it... even "coveted" it as my mom claims! I was so surprised when I opened the box and the necklace I had admired (and never knew the story behind) was given to me and its history shared. The story behind it and the thoughtfulness of giving it to me on MY 30th birthday is priceless. I was moved to tears. Check out my new necklace!

Sunday afternoon was filled with more fun and memories as Mallory and Marie were the masterminds behind my big bash. Though the weather was chilly and slightly rainy, some of my dearest friends in DC came out to Hains Point and celebrated with me. The decor was beautiful and the tent kept us (mostly) dry. Ryan was the grill master and we all just chatted and partied for hours. I loved it!!

The weekend ended with the announcement of bin Laden's death. Though I'm still processing how I feel about "celebrating" the death of such a corrupt man, I am glad that no more deaths will be a direct result of his actions. The White House was featured on the news that night. People were swarming down there in droves. Having the spontaneous family that I do, we (mom, grandma, Mal and I) all hopped in the car and made our way down to the White House around 12:15 a.m. Monday morning. Mal and I went into the heart of the crowd and took pictures. We participated in the chants of "U.S.A." and singing of "God Bless America" that spontaneously erupted every few minutes. The energy in the crowd was unlike any other time I've been there- even the night that Obama was elected can't compare. There was jubilee in the air that paired with the sounds of singing, honking horns and fluttering flags.





Well, that's all I have to share right now. I've missed many opportunities to do so in the past six months, but I promise to do update My Palette more often.

Thanks for checking back in. I hope you'll pick back up with me as I continue this dance of life...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.....don't forget to write often.

Love,

Dean

Anonymous said...

Hoo ray! You are writing (posting again). I am so happy. Your gifts for writing/painting are gifts from God and it is what you should do, use them! :-)