Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Another weekend in NC

It's become second nature to pile into the car with Mallory on Friday evenings. This weekend was no exception. We decided to go home to celebrate with our "dads."

Friday we hit the road after grabbing some pizza from our favorite Italian place- y'all remember me mentioning Bistro Italiano? Well, after work, I ran into Mal walking home (imagine that... this big ole city and I ran into my sister on Constitution Avenue!) and we called in a "to go" order. After they quoted us 25 minutes, it definitely sent us into full gear. After finishing our walk home, we changed, packed, and were standing at Bistro (salivating) within 30 minutes. Not shabby, eh?

We ate our pie in the car and hit the road to Fayetteville, where our grandparents live. We arrived about five hours later, around midnight. My mom and aunt were there, so we had quite a welcoming committee! My grandpa was sleeping, so all of us women caught up on our news. After about an hour, my grandpa joined us and the conversation turned to him. He wasn't feeling well and my heart broke as I sat in the chair across from him and could do nothing to make him feel better. His breaths were short and raspy and his flesh was ashen. It probably would have been cold to the touch if it weren't for his fever. He sat wrapped in his blanket and dozed in and out of conciousness as my aunt and grandma doted over him.

We were satisfied that he was able to sleep, and eventually went to sleep ourselves. I awoke Saturday morning to discover that my aunt had taken him to the hospital and that he had been diagnosed with a respiratory infection.

"They're pumping him full of fluids and antibiotics as we speak. He already feels better," my mom assured me. Thank you, Lord. I was relieved to hear he was feeling better than he did the previous evening.

Mallory slept. Mom read in the living room. I got dressed. I had plans to leave there and drive to Winston to see my own dad. When I learned that Papa would be at the hospital for a little bit longer, I loaded my things in the car, passed along some kisses to him, and hit the road.

Dad was supposed to get off work at four. It was almost two o'clock and Winston was over two hours away. I had plans later in the evening, so I was pressed for time. I arrived (thanks to some traffic in Winston) in the driveway at five. As I approached the house I was a little relieved when I didn't see his car. I knew there was still wrapping to do!

I began unloading my bags and walking towards the door when I saw his car. I suddenly didn't care that there were still gifts to wrap. I was happy to see his smiling face and get a "dad" hug. Inside, we quickly caught up on Papa, on why Mal wasn't there (she'd stayed to spend more time in Fayetteville), on his day, on DC, on my plans for the night (I was going to dinner at Mike's), and other things. He changed while I slipped away and wrapped.

We had a little Father's Day celebration. I told him that I was the official representative for the rest of the women (ie. mom and Mal) in his family who would normally be there. I snapped a couple of pictures as proof that he didn't get neglected and we ate some cookie cake. Mmm.

After visiting a bit more, I rushed to change before heading to Greensboro, where Mike was cooking and waiting for me to arrive. I placed the dessert and the bottle of wine (my small contributions to dinner) in the car. It will be nice to be there and just stop. No where else to be. Nothing else to do tonight.

Thirty five minutes later, Mike opened the door, and thus began an enjoyable and relaxing evening. I met his roommate and the three of us engaged in easily flowing conversation while Mike manned the stove. He made shrimp pad Thai, a delicious dish with all fresh ingredients, and served a vegetable egg drop soup on the side. He really is an impressive cook and I couldn't help but smile as he thought of every detail- even the sliced lime and cilantro flowers that sat on our plates for "presentation" purposes.

Later, he took me on a "tour" and I saw his garden, before we paused for dessert (he'd made banana nut bread with a cream cheese icing and I'd brought ingredients for strawberry shortcake). It was a relaxing evening and I was happy to glance into his daily world.

Sunday was wonderful as well. I got to go to my home church and see friends that I hadn't seen in over a month. After church, I visited with dad a bit more before heading back to Fayetteville. By this time, Papa was home and other family members were there too. We had a quality afternoon filled with new memories. Shortly after six, Mal and I jumped into our familiar places (ie. the front seats of our car) and drove back to DC.

It was a weekend of going. Can't say that I'd like to be that busy every weekend (and covering that much terrain), but it was fun this time around.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS I NEEDED THAT....I JUST LOVE READING THIS BLOG....I TOLD YOUR MOTHER THIS MORING WHAT IS THAT GIRL DOING THAT SHE HASN'T HAD TIME TO WRITE....SHE LOVES TO READ IT TOO...WE LOVE YOU GIRLS AND LOVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR LIVES......KEEP WRITING PLEASE.....DEAN

Anonymous said...

glad you had a nice family visit :) are you fitting right in with the dc lifestyle? or do you like country north carolina better? :)

Meredith said...

the "lifestyles" are completely different. Don't know that one is "better" than the other. Right now I am LOVING it here, though. I am in no hurry to get back to suburbia! :)

Anonymous said...

D.C. and NC are great, but hey, they can't touch Richmond...I mean, where else can ya soak up some great weather, great rap music, get to watch an assualt-robbery-hostage situation in progress in broad daylight, across the street from the police station, AND get to join the witness protection program-for FREE!? :) Hope you guys have a safe ride down there tonight, lovin the blog!

~"Lt." dave

Meredith said...

haha! yeah, I heard a little about that. you are in the witness protection program? lol. you crack me up, dave. how do you manage to get yourself into those situations??