Monday, June 12, 2006

Government Spending

Just thought I'd give you a head's up on where your tax dollars are going on any given Monday in the Library of Congress.

There's me... I've caught up on the news on both CNN and AOL.com. If you're curious- there really aren't any more stories on either one. I just check both to occupy another twenty minutes or so. Also, I've checked my email, written email, and glanced at a local church's website. Well, I write "glanced", but I really mean "meticulously read over". I'm on a mission to find a small group to join. I've also IM'ed several people today, checked Myspace, and even completed a phone reference for a friend who's applying for a job back home. Finally, I'm adding another blog post.

There's Tilya... she sits behind me and I can't really see what she's doing on her computer, but I guarantee it's about as much work related activity as I have done on mine. Oh, plus... she's been talking on the phone.

I just ran an errand upstairs (remember, I do manage to actually DO work for about 5-10% of my day) to our copy center. I encountered a classic LOC situation.

Copy machines were running, creating a hypnotic drone, and the room was pretty warm. As enticing as a nap would be, you wouldn't actually be doing it at work, would you?

Ha! Not at the LOC. It is here that we scoff at such outrageous expectations within a work environment!

I approached a desk where two ladies sat... wait a sec. One lady sat and the other had her head on the desk. When I reached the desk's edge the first greeted me, barely glancing from her computer screen.

Well, at least someone's working in here.

The second lady lifted her head from the desk and smiled. Not a genuine smile... one of those "well, guess I'd better acknowledge you too" kinda smiles. Do those really qualify as smiles? Seriously.

It was not two seconds later when I heard the first PING.

PING.

BOINK.

PING.

The sounds were errupting from the first lady's computer. I mean, at least turn the volume down if you're gonna play a game, I thought. Being a rookie, I even know this.

Alas, she was a pro, though. How do I know? She managed to converse with me about what I needed (23 colored copies, stapled in the corner), give me a time when they'd be ready, and point to a pen sitting on her desk when I had to write my phone number down.

Whoa. The woman had game.

So, I've concluded that part of your/our tax payers moolah goes to a program that trains employees to be incredibly skilled at multi tasking. What other government agency can teach their employees to play computer games, converse intelligently, and use mobile skills to point to writing instruments? On top of that, an employee at the LOC is imparted with the knowledge to handle the work load that a napping employee beside him does not carry!

Amazing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

totally unrelated, but on last comic standing on NBC a lady did a bit about how she helps prostitutes get a job. "Customer service skills" - and if they have had multiple partners "Good at multitasking"
There was more, and it was way funnier coming from her!
You cracked me up with this...

Meredith said...

haha! I saw that one. Yeah, she was pretty funny. I was like, "Man, I need someone like that to talk up my 'skills'!"

Anonymous said...

Did you go into over time? I see that you posted this at 5:02....Sunday you said you were going to Church....Who, What, When and Where????

Meredith said...

No overtime... I work until six. Well, I sit until six. Defining it as work is just crediting me too much.

Yeah, we did go to church. I'll write about it :)