Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Simple Saturday

It was a pretty busy Saturday. It started off relaxing enough... we did sleep in and hang out at the apartment until about three. From there on, however, we were on the go.

Last night, I mentioned to Mal that I wanted to visit a museum today. She suggested that we go to the National Gallery of Art, which is conveniently located just a few metro stops away. She wanted to get print of a painting she'd been eyeing and I simply wanted to get lost in the museum.

We arrived about 45 minutes before the museum closed. I know... pathetic. Mal, having already been there and not exactly an art buff, was thrilled at our timing.

I'll come back. I'll enjoy what I see today and just come back again.

We approached the entrance to the museum and were distracted by the Sculpture Garden located out front. We walked around in it for about 15 minutes, taking the pictures shown below. I am excited, because a sign was posted that mentioned "Jazz in the Garden" every Friday night. For a few hours every Friday, they feature live jazz performances. I'm sure it's something that we will be checking out in the near future!



After we took some pics with the sculptures, we made our way to the middle of the garden where they have a beautiful fountain. During the winter, they freeze the fountain over and make it into an ice skating rink. Today, however, ice skating is a distant adventure. The fountain flowed freely and the water only spritzed us a little when the wind blew in our direction.




After we checked out the garden, we made our way inside. I had exactly 30 minutes. Mal stayed mostly in the gift shop (go figure!). Although I looked in the shop for a little while, I was still able to take in about 15 minutes of the gallery. I can see how one could spend hours in there. I can't wait to go back and see it all. We've talked about going back tomorrow. We'll see.

Mal bought her picture (see her with her new art below) and then we left, er, were kicked out.




We made our way across the Mall and snapped shots of the Washington Monument.

"We look like tourists," Mal commented as I snapped the third picture or so.

I grinned. Mostly because I feel that I am one. How long do I have to live here and what all do I have to see to not qualify as a "tourist"?




After taking a few more shots, I tucked my camera away and we headed to the metro in search of dinner.

We hopped on it with no particular restaurant in mind. We knew that shopping would follow dinner, so we got off at the metro stop where the mall is. After discussing eatery options, we both concluded that it would be fun to try somewhere new... somewhere only DC offers. We stood and observed the possibilities in front of us. Mal let me decide and I chose Thaiphoon. Thai sounded yummy and I thought the name was clever.

The food was delicious and the atmosphere was enchanting. With bright colors all around (from the walls to the plates and even drinks!), it was hard not to smile in there. On our table were freshly cut, amazing orchids.





It's definitely somewhere I'd like to go again.

After we ate, the night was still young, so we made our way to the mall (with a lowercase "M"!). Mal found some shoes. I somehow refrained myself at the shoe store, but caved later when I saw a black dress with my name on it.

"It's classic looking... like something out of the fifties," Mal commented. She's right. I can't wait to wear it somewhere.

After closing down the mall, we made our way home. It's late now. Our plan is to check out the church down the road tomorrow. I'm really excited about it. Coincidentally, several people have referred this church to us.

Perhaps it's not so coincidental after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you connected links on Saturday's blog. I like "Flaming June". :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. Thanks for the blog. I still part of your lives!
I like the way you added the links to Saturday's blog.
I still like the "flaming June" picture.

Anonymous said...

Guess you all really have Duncan genes! Imagine leaving for the art museum at three. One time Mary Alice told Papa and me that we were the only people she knew that our day started at three in the afternoon! Loved hearing about your Saturday and glad you are enjoying the things to do (and the different places to eat) in DC. Making memories is fun!!!

Anonymous said...

you SISTERS! always doing cool things together that us "brothers-only" girls can't do. love the pictures!!