Monday, June 26, 2006

My sister is a winner

Ha ha! Mal just won a radio game show!

What a way to start out a Monday!

On my walk in to work, my morning show was giving away tickets to the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" showing for tomorrow night. It's to be a "Ladies Night Out" affair.

I was dialing furiously on the cell phone for the second half of my walk. What a randomly fun, last minute outing that would be.

Busy.

Busy.

Busy.

I arrived to the office and shared with Mal over IM about the tickets. I told her to dial, too. Surely, between the two of us, one of us would make it through and score some free tickets.

"How do I play?" she asked.

There was no game. I explained (over IM) that all she had to do was call.

After I had been dialing about five minutes, I made it through. I am on hold!!!

Then... beep, beep, beep. I was no longer on hold. Sadness. My call had been dropped and I was forced to try again.

In another few minutes, Mal IM'd that she was on hold.

"There are rules," she wrote. Rules? Why would there be rules to requesting movie tickets? I didn't even think the movie was rated R or anything. Maybe you have to be 18. Weird. Especially since I had heard other women calling in earlier and getting tickets with no problem.

I continued to dial and simultaneously IM Mal. I was getting no response from either. Figuring Mal was talking to someone from the station and coming to terms with the fact that no one was going to answer my call, I finally gave up and just waited to hear from Mal. Besides, the phone here in the office was ringing off the hook.

Just kidding... just thought I'd make you do a double take!

"I won!" Mal wrote.

Won?? Didn't know it was so hard to "win" free tickets.

"I had to play a game," she continued to fill me in on her morning adventure. Apparently, between the time I turned off my radio and the time Mal made it through to them, the radio dj's had turned the "free tickets" into a game. Setting two listeners against each other in a "Who Knows More About Aaron Spelling" competition. FYI: Mal knows nothing about Aaron Spelling (as most everyone else on the planet).

Enter: Google.

Apparently, Mal explained, she googled all the questions to get the answers. Smart thinking, eh?

She had me rolling when she called later to tell me that they wouldn't give her the tickets (even though she won) until she screamed.

OK... she was sitting in the Senator's front office. She had to explain to the dj's that she had to walk away from her desk, take her cordless office phone, and go to the office bathroom to scream. They waited while she did just that.

Mal said she only got a few funny looks when she opened the bathroom door!

Looks like we'll be seeing a movie tomorrow night. Along with movie tickets, Mal also won tickets to a Washington Nationals Baseball game (next Wed.) and some Crest Whitening package. HA! Who needs caffeine when Monday morning greets you with Aaron Spelling trivia!?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha... wow.. i was laughing when i read this and it happened to me. Amazing... thanks for posting my trivia blog...and oh... did i mention we are getting free tickets? Yay!

Meredith said...

I'm excited!!!!

Yay for randomly-last-minute-events to do!!!

enjoy the rest of your Monday. so far, so good.... :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Free tickets to see the movie AND a baseball game - how lucky can you all get. Had to laugh outloud (here at home all by myself)thinking about Mallory screaming in the bathroom. Since I read the newspaper every day and watch TV I know all about Aaron Spelling. His house is 68,000 feet and I bet we could fill it up with all of our junk!

Meredith said...

"His house is 68,000 feet and I bet we could fill it up with all of our junk!"

Hmm, you think? It might be stretching it....

Anonymous said...

YOU TWO HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WINNERS.......HAVE A GOOD TIME....

Anonymous said...

wow, devil wears prada, nat's tickets and free crest-white strips! not bad. but hey, who's got you guys hooked up w/ free Crest toothpaste every month for life, huh?! :)

~"Dr." Dave

Meredith said...

ha ha, Doc! Yeah, Mal mentioned that you'd be proud of her for winning the Crest package.

Any new dentist jokes for me??

Anonymous said...

yeah here's one...

What does the dentist of the year get?...A little plaque!

i know, majorly corny :)

~dave

Meredith said...

ha ha. again again!!

did you tell my whitney houston joke??

Anonymous said...

hey,

Tell me the whitney houston one again, i think i was a little slow the other night.

ok here's a few other classics (that are fairly tame...)

What was the dentist doing in Panama?...Looking for the Root Canal!

Why didn't the dentist ask his secretary out?...He was already taking out a tooth!

A patient asked the dentist, if it wasn’t to be all the day with the hands in someone's mouth.
The dentist answered "I just think of it as having my hands in their wallet."

Patient: Doctor, I am very nervous. You know, this is my first extraction.
Young dentist: Don’t worry, it's my first extraction too.

Dentist: There goes the only woman I ever loved...
Assistant: Why don't you marry her?
Dentist: I can't afford to. She's my best patient.

Meredith said...

What did Whitney Houston say to her dentist?

"Plaque is wack!"

I liked the exchange between the patient and the "young dentist"... that one was my favorite!

thanks, doc!