Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lunch Date

Last week my mom called with news that she had run into Melissa's mom. Melissa was my best friend (BFF!) when we were in middle school. After talking with Angie (Melissa's mom), mine discovered that she lives in Arlington, VA, not even thirty minutes from me! Our moms exchanged our numbers before departing from each other.

Therefore, I was not surprised to hear a message from Melissa as I left work on Thursday afternoon. When I called back, we briefly caught up with each other and made plans to eat together for lunch today.

It was such a great time! I met her in my building and we went to a Mexican restaurant a couple blocks over. I recognized her immediately. She quickly morphed from my early year's memory into the woman in front of me. Besides having no braces, and shorting a curlier (she used to straighten her hair) look, she hadn't changed too much from the last time I saw and talked with her (about eight years ago!).

As we walked to the restaurant, I couldn't help but notice her fidgeting with her ring like she always used to. I guess some habits never change!

We had a wonderful time. The hour flew by quickly as we touched on college experiences, the city (and DC in general), our jobs, and families. A couple of times I caught myself disbelieving that we were actually eating lunch together in DC, of all places.

On my quest for new friends, I am excited to have rediscovered an old one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy you caught up with Melissa! Time changes somethings but if we are blessed special friendships continue on. PTL!

Meredith said...

yep! PTL... means??

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord