Friday, August 10, 2007

The Beach


I had a wonderful time with Mike and his family over my long weekend.

I arrived to NC late on Friday night. Mike and I joined his parents and other family on Saturday morning. From there, we rode to Long Beach, NC, which is right near Holden Beach.

We had beautiful weather the whole time we were there. Although it was pretty hot, it helped to dunk in the ocean. We did quite a few activities: fishing, swimming in the ocean and sound (our house was nestled on a thin strip of land that ran between the two), flounder gigging (that was a first for me!), lots of yummy eating, and relaxing.

It was a great chance to get to know Mike's immediate and extended family better. While we were there, we stayed in two houses that were about five houses apart. Each house overlooked the ocean. Every night we gathered as a big group in one of the houses and ate dinner- a tradition that I could really appreciate. During the days, we were free to come and go for breakfast and lunch at whatever hour we preferred.

I went to the ocean everyday and did some form of fishing (whether it was with a pole, net, or gig) in the evening. Good times!!

I got a little sun, saw some shooting stars in the evenings, and had the chance to bond with his family. They're wonderful people and remind me SO much of my own family that it's a little scary.

I've included some pictures for your enjoyment!


Mike wading in a tide pool after being "double dared" by his borther-in-law, Chris. Mike said that he "can't turn down a double-dare." I told him that I was making a note of that for a later time.
Mike surrounded by some of his family. His two cousins are sitting with their backs to the camera. His older sister (Laura) is standing and Chris is on Mike's left.
Mike's younger sister, Jessica, with his little cousin Jara.





I returned on Wednesday evening after flying from Wilmington, NC to Baltimore, MD. I had no problems with any of my flights, thankfully.


Mallory picked me up at the airport and is staying in town until Saturday or Sunday. Last night we went with Robby to Bistro for the first time in a long time. Robby had never been and Mallory and I were craving it.


It's good to be home, but I'm already missing Mike. I'm looking forward to the day when I won't be counting down the days until I see him. I'll be able to hop in my car and meet him for dinner or lunch after a short drive... or spend a Saturday with him that has no hint of a goodbye on the horizon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the picture of you and Mike -one of my favorites! Happy you had such a good time and know they enjoyed having a Fairy Princess to share the good times with them.

Anonymous said...

Glad to have the vacation update.
Sounds like a good time was had by all. The pictures are an added bonus! Hearing Mike's family is somewhat like your own family does sound scarey because are quite a tribe!:-)
ed