Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Back to the Grind

We've been without internet at the house for the past few days. Not sure why and am not going to think too hard about it. It's back.

The past three days have been fruitful at work. There was another project I'd been working on the past couple of weeks, but it took a backseat to the website push. Since the return from the holiday break, I've again turned my attention towards it. It's made the last few days seem like a blink.

I was walking home from Leadership Group tonight and saw my neighbor, Randy, putting out his trash can. Began to wonder why he was going that- it's only Tuesday. He has two more days. Do you know that I walked another block, greeted my roommates and made my way upstairs before it clicked that tomorrow is Thursday?

Scary.

We've started a new unit in our Leadership Group (LG as I'll lazily refer to it). We're studying Team Leadership, which is an appropriate follow up to the first unit: Leading Self.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the first unit and was skeptical. As I sat on the couch tonight and listened to the director, I decided that I should be documenting more of my thoughts as we go through the units. Some points that I took from our first unit:
  • We're each created with our own leadership skills, whether we recognize those skills in ourselves or not. I learned to recognize some things within myself... some passions and ways that make me tick.
  • It's good to surround yourself with peers, a "sounding board" if you will. We talked of leaders in history who often had a small group of friends that helped make things happen. Usually behind every great leader is a peer group that helped drive (encourage) him. Along this same thought, we talked of the importance of Christian peers in the same profession coming together and growing from one another.
  • One should take time to mentor the spirit. Leadership also comes from self-reflection. What are you doing that's working? What can you improve upon? Take the time to rejuvinate yourself and get away from everyone.
  • Emotional Intelligence- it takes more than skills to get a task done. It takes a relational factor. What drives you? What's your motivation? How can you motivate people around you and stir them towards a common goal? The strongest and most respected leaders are the ones who can motivate others around them and bring them together for a common good.
  • We each have spiritual gifts. This is told to us in Scripture. We each took a Spiritual Gifts Test and mine is Service. I'm learning to look for the gifts in others. We naturally fill more fulfilled when we are doing what we're wired to do.

So, anyways. Those are just a few things I learned (and felt like writing). I'm gleaning quite a bit- pieces here and there. Am really looking forward to May when the final puzzle is complete.

We've started talking about our Leadership Project. It's something that we'll begin soon and we started talking and brainstorming about it this evening. More details will come...

I led devotions in our staff meeting on Tuesday morning. Each staff meeting has about 20-30 people in it. Was admittedly a little nervous about it. Leading is completely voluntary, I just never had the nerve to do it. I read Psalm 33. I think it's a good reminder that our God is powerful and holy. And artistic. I mean... He breathed the stars and bottled the deep seas (vs. 6,7). He is a God of action and purpose. Everything is seen by him. Love and hope are his offerings. He is a God of detail.

That means I don't have to be consumed by worry or fret over details (something I have to sometimes remind myself). God's plans stand firm and he watches over everyone. He is big enough to breath the stars, but cares enough about me to watch my daily comings and goings.

Wow.

No comments: