Monday, December 03, 2007

Some Ramblings

I can't believe it's December. Wow.

Looks like my postings fall short of the number for last year. I can't help but recall my long days at the LOC, perusing the internet (at my supervisor's suggestion) to occupy my time and salivating when the mail came for me to sort. Sure don't miss that work load (if you can call it "work")!

On Thursday night I went to a multi-faith dialogue presented by the Buxton Iniatiative. Kat works there and asked me to attend the event. Muslims, Christians and Jews gathered for dinner and to watch a film about a young Christian guy who grew up in WV and went to stay with a Muslim family from Detroit for 30 days. He observed their culture and religious practices. The film was documentary style and done by Morgan Spurlock who did Supersize Me, an informative documentary that looked at the fast food industry (specifically McD's).

The conversations that followed were interesting and I learned quite a bit about Islam. The Buxton Initiative is planning on hosting conversations similar to last week's once a month. I think the idea is to promote more than just "tolerance" for another religion, but to really understand it and what makes the people of faith follow it.

The CCCU had our annual Christmas celebration on Saturday. It was a fun brunch at Joe Theismann's, a restaurant in VA that was apparently opened by the former Redskins quarterback.

After the Christmas brunch, I went to Richmond where I (and other family) assisted in Mal's move to her new apartment in Richmond. She's in a great location and only a block from that boy that she likes so much. ;) Her apartment is cute and I have no doubts that the decor will be fabulous. I'm excited about her being closer and am sure there will be dinner parties and more weekend visits to Richmond in the future.

Last night we met six guys who are each interested in living in Drew's room while he travels in Morocco. Drew will be gone from Jan. 1 - April 1. I thought it would be difficult to find someone who'd only be interested in the place for three months, but we had over 50 responses before we finally took the ad down from Craigslist. Unbelievable.

All the guys we met last night were very nice and there were a few who seem like promising leads. We're also meeting one more person tonight. Once we've met him, we'll make a decision and get an offer to someone. I'll be happy to have this behind us! I hate finding new roomies. It's such a time consuming process.

This week looks a little slower. I've been invited by a friend from church to the annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at the White House. I'm psyched!

No comments: