Friday, September 05, 2008

Lots o' news

So, while posting pics about two weekends ago, it obviously doesn't fill in all details. Things have been shaking around here lately!

Some updates (in chronological order):
  • Pics from the 23rd were from a weekend of fun with Andrew, his bro Kent, and Marie- it was basically a weekend of nights on the town, a day at Eastern Market (where being a genius that I am I bought a watermelon within ten minutes of being there and then lugged it around for two hours... nice), and then spent some time doing the roomy search for Andrew's room
  • New roomy, Aaron, was selected after two days of interviews. He's originally from Taiwan and is doing an internship on the Hill for the time being. He's 25.
  • Then, skip to Labor Day weekend... night out (again) on Friday to celebrate Drew's last weekend in DC. The evening was filled with dancing and then the DC staple of Ben's Chili Bowl. Mmm for cheese fries at 3 am.
  • Saturday was spent at Chesapeake Beach, that is within an hour of DC and makes for a fun beach to visit. We got there around two and spent a few hours lounging on the sand, searching for shark's teeth (well, that was mostly Marie and my fun), and then splashing in the bay. Once the sun had taken the energy from us, we made our way to a local restaurant that served fresh seafood and was hosting a live band. Love fresh seafood and live music!
  • Sunday was spent with my new friend, Tim, from Philly. We spent the day out on the town, first with church then to Eastern Market before heading to the National Geographic Museum. Finally, we landed at Oya, a french-japanese fusion restaurant I've been eying for about a year. It was worth the wait and the whole day was very fun. After Tim left for Philly, I joined Marie, Drew, Kent and more friends of Drew's on the town again. Once again, Ben's Chili Bowl sealed the evening.
  • Labor Day... bittersweet. Drew left for Paris. Marie and I cried. I thought in poetry all evening, but was too slack to jot any down.
  • Aaron moved in within an hour of Drew's room being empty. We're still all adjusting. I miss Drew's smell and clothes pile in the middle of his room. The pictures, cigarettes, books, and music is gone. A new kid's in town.
I told Drew that besides my dad, he's been the most consistent man in my life for the past 2.5 years. We'd been through a lot... moving, roommates, deaths, new loves and loves lost, jobs, bosses, and arguments. In the mix were the stuffings of life: hugs, rain dancing, crossword puzzles, french movies, dancing, drinking, good food, laughter, bus rides, pun sharing, political discussions, dinners in, road trips, museum hopping, shopping, trash tv, and french pressed coffee.

Marie and I are adjusting. Matt also informed us that he's moving at the end of the month, so our roommate search isn't done. We've another place to fill... or at least we'll attempt it.

The weekend ahead isn't super busy, but I am attending a wedding on Saturday for my dear friend, Jen. It'll be an extravagant event, as it's Italian and should have amazing food. Mmm. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people, eating some fine food, drinking some well made wine, and dancing til my feet hurt. Should be good! :)

On a side note... things are heating up here in DC with the elections looming. It's been interesting attending a DNC party and then also watching the RNC. People's tongues are wagging already and I've taken part in many of interesting political discussions at work. Despite being a Christian organization, the people in my office vary on their views, from being extremely conservative to pretty liberal. So, it makes for interesting chats. I am sitting on the fence, one day being more impressed with Obama and another day with McCain. I agree with different issues that each party is pushing and also disagree with a several on each side. So, I'm anxious to hear the debates. I think the Republicans have been throwing a lot of mud in the RNC, much more than the democrats did at the DNC. Interesting. I was completely turned off by Guiliani's speech. The man makes my skin crawl and spews lies. Ugh. I think Palin delivered an impressive speech and seemed comfortable in her skin. We'll see how she she does while facing Biden.

It's a wonderful time to live in DC. I'm in this amazing city during a time that will make history. Awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS A LOT OF CHILI! THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. Dean