Monday, May 15, 2006

Count it all joy

What a wonderful weekend, day, and evening it has been. As I write this post, I can't help but reflect on what's gone on in the past few days that have passed in mere blinks. Though blinks, they are like the echo of a camera's whisper. Capturing that perfect picture. .. the one that you know you will treasure forever. The new memory. Only it's a scent, smile, embrace, even tear that will be captured by the means of His gift. His precious gift to each of us.

New snapshots that have been captured in my memory bank from the past 72 hours:
  • Mal and my car ride down. What started off as a quiet nap (mine as I was riding) turned to sharing. What the year has brought. Where it began. Where we each were a year ago. What started off as my sad ending, a year ago from this weekend, has brought new promises. New chances and beginnings. The ride was another sister memory etched in that special place. Thank you, Lord, for her.
  • Hugging my grandparents. They were all three there this weekend. Catching their scents. Wrapping my arms around each their shoulders. Shoulders that range from my grandmother's frail, soft ones to my grandpa's broad and once commanding mountains.
  • Seeing Mal, standing tall. Taller in her graduate robe. Wow. I can't help but recall her kindergarten picture. Speckled with chicken pocs, but beaming as she stood with diploma clutched in her small hands. Though still small, they belong to a woman now. She stands before me. Proud. Accomplished. Beaming again. "How do I look?" she asks. Oh sister. I can't believe it. My baby sister is graduating. I am so proud of her. I can only smile.
  • Family time. I am so blessed. We shared memories, political opinions, tears, laughter, and cake. And at the end of the evening, after our circle broke, we shared hugs.
  • Sunday. Mother's Day. Listening to my grandma's sweet voice. Hearing her laughter. Cozying beside my mom on the couch. We watched her movie. A movie of love, romance, pride, and family. She cried and I smiled. She always cries. But I know why.
  • Another car ride. With Mal and our roomie. A ride, pointed out by Mal, that was our first "road trip as roomies". The first of many, I imagine.
  • And tonight. The three if us rode home from the Sam Walton pit. Mal shared a story from work about this horrendous "milking plant" that attacked one of the interns in her office. As she recounted his reaction, and those of the people around him, we nearly died of laughter. She recounted it clearly and told it perfectly. My cheeks ached and my stomach was tight by the end of our laughing. Ahh, I love it. Thank you, Lord, for natural highs.

Finally, I sit and listen. Mal and Drew are both working on their rooms- you know, unpacking, organizing, and building. All that good stuff. I'm relieved that there is nothing on the agenda for my week ahead. I'll be here. No where to go but my neighborhood. No state lines to cross.

It will be the first full weekend I've spent here since I moved in. Only, this weekend, I won't have a billion places to clean or boxes to unpack. Feels good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pretty Princess - which Grandma had the frail shoulders! I loved your latest blog about how you and Mal are sharing each others lives - love you too!

Meredith said...

Hey, you finally left me a message! I'm so proud of you. :) You made me smile. I was writing there about F. Gma, but I wrote about you too... later in Sunday's memory. I can still here you saying that you hadn't eaten your garlic bread yet. Right in the middle of that important scene of the movie!

Anonymous said...

your family sounds wonderful! i'm a little jealous of your closeness.

Meredith said...

don't hate the player.