Friday, May 12, 2006

The Real World

I thought about writing a blog last night, but wanted to spare you all another "vent fest".

My week has been great so far. I spent the first part of it in NC handling some business. I went out a couple of different times with friends, trying to squeeze in every minute while I could. I even went to Charlotte for an overnight trip and saw some college friends down there.

Wednesday I drove back here to D.C. and prepared for my first day at the LOC on Thursday.

My days are eerily like Office Space. Well, minus the full cubicle. Mine is a generous sized one and half of it opens up to the lobby of my office. I sit in the front cubicle and am a greeter for the office. Besides greeting people, finding out where they need to go, and looking around cluelessly myself, I also answer phones, make copies for people, and do other "office type" errands. Absolutely boring. :) (That's a sarcastic smiley, BTW)

My job is mindless and, like Office Space, I spend about 10-20% of my day actually doing work. I am completely caught up on answering personal email, browsing CNN.com and Myspace, and have even read some of my book Invisible Man (which I have been reading for quite a while, but haven't had the time to completely devote to its completion). I only wish I'd thought to bring the thank you notes that I need to finish.

Last night I was so upset about my day. I walked to Mallory's office (after I was done for the day) and sat with her until she was finished. I saw Richard Burr (in the flesh!) and watched the hustle and bustle of her office. Completely opposite of mine. We walked home together and talked. My sour mood pretty much dissipated on our walk as we talked about our days (mostly I talked and vented) and the joggers who we saw along the way. When we reached the apartment, we scrounged up something for dinner. I put it on and cooked for a bit, got distracted by some plants I wanted to pot, and Mal completed dinner. We listened to some Nelly Fertado and John mayor, I drank some (much needed) wine, and we ate. The night ended fabulously as we watched Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I told her that I'm so happy that we're here together. It wouldn't be the same without her.

Tonight we're driving home for her graduation in the morning. Can't believe she's done with school. She can't either. She did it though, and with all A's for her last semester; a feat she was very thrilled about (and even more so when I told her I'd never done that in college).

Well, it's mid day. Guess I should get back to work. heh. Happy Friday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see that you had time to write.....keep it up ...I look almost every day....glad to know you and Mallory are doing good...take care of each other ....Dean

Meredith said...

Thanks, Dean. I'll definitely have lots of time to write at my new job. Not sure that it's a good thing. We'll see. I should meet my new boss Monday... maybe he'll have some more work for me to do.

Anonymous said...

next time you see Burr, let him know that Michael Hartenstine is graduating from the Naval Academy. I am so sure he will remember (snicker) because he gave my brother the recommendation four years ago. ha ha! my family sent him a graduation announcement. does your sister get to open his mail and answer letters? tell her to look for it!

Meredith said...

wow, impressive family connections. oh wait. i have the same ones. :) we are too cool for school.

i don't know who opens his mail, Senator Burr will probably read it though. Mal says he signs his name quite a few times during the day. he (or one of his assistants!) may even write back.