Thursday, May 04, 2006

Driving in Circles

I feel like I have gotten nothing done. In a sense, the past few days have been a little disappointing.

I have this huge list of things to get done. Everyday I've set out to tackle just one or two. Today I was going to call LSB and finally complete my "exit interview". This is where they ask me questions about leaving and then let me know about my insurance, vacation pay that I'm owed, and whatever else they have to tell me. Also, was going to put together the entertainment center. We've had it for a week- just sitting in the box. Meanwhile, the TV is on a little bitty table and surrounded by the VCR, DVD, speakers, and cords gallore. Joy.

Hmm, I was also going to get our temporary parking pass. Well... that's what I set out to do first. Knowing it wold take the longest and accepting the fact that I'd probably have to go all around the world, only to discover that I got lost somewhere about ten blocks ago, and then have to get back on track again. Manuevering on foot is much simpler than car here. Unfortunately, where I am going to get the pass, it would be "easier" via car. So, I set out across the wonderful District of Columbia in search of the Frank Reeves Municipal Building.

Low and behold, I reach it and only about thirty minutes later. I made it without getting lost! I go to the 6th floor. Speak with a lady whose office looks like it just had a massive explosion in it just five minutes prior to my arrival. She directs me to the DMV... 18 blocks east of where we stood.

Do do do... I go back down the elevator, out to the car (where I had just deposited enough change to park for another 30 minutes), and set out for the DMV.

And I find it with no problem. It's the parking that's a joy. I drive around. La dee dah. Driving around... looking... nothing.

Then, I spot the parking garage. Yay. I proceed inside and take my ticket. I go through the garage, maneuvering carefully (as there are only a couple of feet to really work with while going around corners). Fun. I park.

Mallory calls just as I kill the engine. She's been charged by U Haul for not filling the tank enough. She says she's argued with them, but they aren't budging. She's been charged for four gallons of gas and an extra fee for the trouble... uh huh. A grand total of 50.00 worth of "trouble." Now, I KNOW that fuel was in there when we dropped it off. I tell her I'll call U Haul when I get back to the apartment. I was dealing with other joys at the moment.

I hang up and call the DMV. Apparently, I should have done that before I even started their way. We have to have special paperwork (i.e. a letter from the Senator Mal works for to grant her special parking tags). Needless to say, I'm a little short of my requirements to get what I need from them.

I turn the engine back on, reverse out of my spot and quickly conclude that it's going to take a surgeon's precision to get my car pointed toward the exit. I re-invented the 6-7 point turn in that parking garage today. When I arrived at the exit, after being in there 15 minutes, I am charged for the full hour. The guy tells me the cost.

"Seven." I guess he could tell by my look (which was more from the U Haul call, DMV requirements, and 7 point turn I had to do to exit his stupid garage) that I was unhappy. "You don't think that's fair?" he asks.

What the heck. Would it matter if I didn't? "Not really. I was only here 15 minutes."

He looks at my ticket again. "Yeah, looks like about 20. You can see the sign though. Even if it's under the hour, it's still seven." I look in the direction of the sign although I know what it says. I saw it as I entered. I don't care. I just want to get back to the apartment and hammer on the entertainment center. The guy proceeds to hand me two five dollar bills and then stops. "Hold on," he says. He walks to a booth where another guy is sitting. Maybe he's going to cut me some slack and ask his boss man.

He comes back to my window and hands me a TEN dollar bill and my ones. "Makes you feel a little better, eh?" I just look at him. Is he kidding me? I just blink a couple of times as I put the money in my wallet.

"Yeah." I've got warm fuzzies all over. I roll up my window, shake my head, and drive out of the garage. Did he think handing me a bigger bill would make me feel better? Last time I checked, I was five years old about twenty years ago.

So, I drive back to the apartment with no problems (besides the challenging traffic circle that makes me cringe as I approach it every time). I park on my street and can't help but sigh as I realize I don't HAVE to drive anywhere else today. I hate driving around here.

Back inside, I reach immediately for the U Haul information. After making my case, hearing his, and pleading mine again, I realize that buddy boy on the other line is an idiot.

And he's the manager. So I can't even ask to speak to the manager.

I won't go into details, because they are trivial. Just know that I am in the right. Apparently, the gas amazingly flew out of the tank (while it was parked) and there is nothing I can do to even prove it was there. Because "it was checked by the first guy and then double checked by a second guy on Monday morning, m'am." Right.

So, after dropping the Better Business Bureau's name, huffing, and knowing there was nothing else I could do, I hung up from buddy boy and was hot. I think I am angry the most because there really seems like nothing I can do. He doesn't care that I may contact BBB. And really, why should he? It's not like anything would even come of that. They've worked their system, gotten their money, and are already moving on to the next customer whom they may scam out of four gallons of gas and a "trouble" fee. It's hardly fair or in any way ethical. And it pisses me off.

So... thus far, the day's been a wash. I'm about ready to try and play with the cords on the back of the TV. We can get the VCR to work and the TV, but the DVD only plays the sound. No picture. Good times. So, maybe I can figure something out. At best... it will distract me for a few moments and I may come out even madder than I am now. This will only fuel me to hammer harder on the poor nails to our entertainment center.

Later in the evening, I will cool off and walk to Eastern Market. My quest there: to return the two DVDs that we were unable to watch (but we'd be able to hear if we really wanted!).

Phew.

I feel better just writing about my lovely D.C. day. Hope to be a little less cynical in the next post. Thanks for the venting...

No comments: