Monday, May 22, 2006

Weekend thoughts

It was a beautiful morning as I stepped out into the DC sunshine. After strapping on my sunglasses, tuning my Ipod, and embarking on my morning walk, I couldn't help but eagerly soak in another morning. I almost floated to work today as I reflected on my weekend and began a new day.

Mallory and I had a smooth trip down to Fayetteville. We arrived late (nearly 1 AM) and talked with my mom, grandma, and grandpa for almost an hour before we all gave in to our sleepiness.

Saturday, we ALL arose and attended my cousin's 2A (not sure if that's how it's written) State Baseball Finals. His team was only one win away from being NC State Champs. The weather was beautiful (I got some sun and only a little bit burnt), mid seventies with a cool breeze to keep it inviting. After a couple of hours, my cousin's team was rewarded for their daily practices and hard work by the achieving the final win.

After the award ceremony, we all headed to my grandparents' house where we celebrated and enjoyed the company of family. Later, some shopped, others napped, and my cousin and I went for a walk. We talked, I mostly listened, and then skipped rocks across a nearby lake. Well, I write that "we skipped rocks"... he skipped most of them. Most of mine wound up just getting hurled into the lake. They didn't exactly skip as I saw them doing in my head. Regardless, it was a good time with lots of laughs (mostly at my inability to command the rocks).

Later, we gathered together and ate dinner while we enjoyed more social time. I began painting a mailbox for someone back home and we all sat and talked.

Although we all knew the news about my grandpa, there wasn't too much talk about it. I could tell he was a little different. However, he is also content. Content with his "sentence" as he calls it and grateful that we were all there. At the end of the weekend, because of the natural air throughout the visit, there were no awkward goodbye hugs, no teary eyes, or clinging arms. Rather, just a feeling of gratefulness. Gratefulness for another moment, smile, laugh, and shared memory.

In the end, we don't know anyone's time. And that's okay. For today, in all its beauty, is a gift to us to enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are the sweetest :)