Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What a rush...

The last week seems like a blur. I've quit my job, attended a couple of parties, packed my stuff onto a U Haul, driven to D.C. in my U Haul, unpacked my stuff in my new apartment, and waved good bye to my mom as she left for NC. Those things and a few others. :)

It's been crazy. I'm still reeling from what all has happened. It seems like just a few weeks ago when I was even contemplating moving to D.C. and here I am. Sitting at our kitchen table (right by the bay window) and writing in D.C.

My neighbors are wonderful. I met most of them the other day as I was toting things from outside to indoors. Most have lived here for over ten years. There are also some within our building (our apartment was once a row house that's been converted into three apartments) that of course haven't been here that long. In fact, the two downstairs neighbors had their U Haul parked beside ours as they unloaded things into their new place.

I love my neighborhood. Of course I am still finding new places everyday. I have located a coffee shop, laundromat (we have washer/dryer in our apt), 7 11 store, and Italian restaurant all within a few blocks. Eastern Market (a local neighborhood market) is about 15 blocks away. They have all kind of stores from Blockbuster to convenient stores to little restaurants.

I had an interview on Tuesday for a receptionist position at the Library of Congress. It went very well. Due to legal reasons and others undisclosed to me, however, the position can't officially be opened and offered to me until the 15th of the month. Apparently, the chic who currently works in the position is on vacation until then and they can't offer it until she returns. Poor lady. She's gonna be a bit surprised when she returns. Also, got a call today about another receptionist position at the Library of Congress that is similar, but working for the Director in the Library. A little better position even though the pay/ benefits are the same. It would be for the head honcho in the Library. So, that interview is on Friday at 2:00. Be praying for me!! Still trying to find a good fit for now... even if it means I'll still be looking for something else. The pay would just allow me to get by (think: pb & j sandwiches and lots of staying in)! I'm just wanting to land something for now so I won't have to dip too much into my savings.

Traffic is starting to pick up outside. We live on a one way street, but it's a major thoroughfare for traffic in the morning and evenings for about an hour. A little while ago, I watched as little kids trickled by on their way home from school.

It's beautful here. I have opened all of the windows in the house to let the air flow through. Upstairs we have a couple of ceiling fans that are spinning. I'm the electricity Nazi. I go around turning lights out in the evening. Got a bill here for our landlord that's for last month's energy costs. Not as bad as I thought. Still, in D.C. costs are supposed to go up 30% starting in July. Holy cow.

Well, I'm off to write a list for things we have to buy at the store. Lots of little things that one needs after a move, you know? After that, find the store at which we'll buy them. Heh. :)

Think we are going to buy an entertainment stand tonight. Hope so... cords, DVDs, and players are lying everywhere. Will be nice to see that area of the room come together. Pictures will be taken within a week or two. Rooms aren't quite unpacked yet. Poor Mal, no day off for her to even think about getting her room in order. Plus, no sleep either. Today was the first day I slept in and it was divine. Didn't see the morning at all except to turn my alarm off.

Sorry for such an extended "leave of absence." Thankfully, we've got this amazing wireless signal to use until we legally get our own. :) Will write more later... hope you all are well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God you wrote and let us know how things were going ...Don't forget about us that long any more..

Meredith said...

thanks Dean!! yeah, a little bird told me that you'd be very excited to finally read a new blog. :) glad to appease and update you!! i'll try not to go that long again...

Anonymous said...

glad to see you've surfaced! good luck tomorrow with your interview!

Meredith said...

thanks, Kristina. I'm sure I'll have something to write about it!