Monday, July 17, 2006

On a scale of 1-10, it was a ten...

What an awesome weekend in NC. First off, I have to update you all on my grandpa. He is doing very well. What was originally thought as a sure "death sentence" has completely turned around to a very positive prognosis.

His doctor suggested undergoing a more aggressive chemo treatment, and my grandpa's body has been responding tremendously well. He completed chemotherapy two weeks ago and has experienced very few side effects from the drugs. He hasn't been physically ill like the doctors warned. Only once has he had a fever and (as of this weekend) still has all his hair. He blames his "hard headedness" for this feat. His spirit is positive and his outlook the same. It was encouraging to see him over the weekend and hear him laughing and carrying on with everyone.

So, thanks for the prayers. Keep them up cuz they are working!

When I left Durham Saturday, I was in the best mood. My grandpa was doing excellent and I had plans to see Mike. Oh, and I finally got to wear this black dress that I bought a month ago and hadn't taken the tags off yet.

I met Mike at his place and from there we went to Bianca's, the restaurant I wrote of earlier. I just love that place and was excited about sharing it with him. Since he likes to cook, he is always up for trying anything. I'm never worried that he won't like anything because he isn't picky at all. Thus far, I haven't steered him wrong on any recommendations.

"You're still at 100 percent," he said in reference to my restaurant suggestions. Yay.

Dinner was excellent and from there we went to his place to change into our bowling apparel. His roommate, Joey, went bowling with us and it was fun. Mike beat me by one point during our first game and I beat both of the guys our second game. Poor Joey got smoked.

The evening ended late (early, by that point). Sunday morning rolled around. Actually, it zipped and I rolled out of bed. I went to Sunday School and church and was happy to see my friends. I miss them very much. After church, Mike and I split for Cracker Barrel. Usually we eat with the church group, but I hadn't seen dad all weekend and I wanted to see him before I left town. Mike was gracious enough to let me do my "family thing" and accompany me there for lunch.

I saw dad, introduced Mike and him, and we all talked for a few minutes. The restaurant was busy, so there was little time to converse with dad. Mike and I ate lunch, spoke with dad again before we left, and then said our own goodbyes.

After taking a nap and filling my family in on my weekend, I drive to Richmond to pick up Mal. She was visiting Dave for the weekend. The three of us met and had a healthy, quality dinner at Dairy Queen. It was fun to see Dave again.

Mal and I arrived in DC after 11. I think it was a first. We never make it home by midnight.

We had plans to go see Dave and Mike in Richmond tonight for dinner. Mike rode up with his boss last night and was going to lead some training this morning. However, plans have called them back to NC. So, Mal and I have scratched Richmond plans (sorry, Dave) and opted to stay in town tonight. After being on the road all weekend, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Instead of Richmond, we are going to the Mall to Screen on the Green. Tonight kicks off their Monday movie showings. People gather on the Mall to see classic movies. The film starts as the sun is setting. We'll be watching The Day the Earth Stood Still, a movie released in 1951. It's about an alien attack on DC. Heh, funny. I'm looking forward to this "very DC" thing to do. I'll try to remember to take some pictures for you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember The Day the Earth Stood Still! Keep in mind it was made long before computers could jazz things up. Glad your weekend was a great one! jd