Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Whirlwind Weekend: Part Two (Sunday)

Well, it's halfway through the week. Guess I should go ahead and wrap up what I started on Monday, eh?

Sunday morning, the four of us went to Mal's and my church here in town. The church is very contemporary in nature. We actually meet in a movie theatre that's nestled in Union Station. They have a live band and, depending on which service one attends, the pastor can be caught "live" or on the movie screen with a pre-recorded rendition of the message. We caught the 11 AM service (the last one), so we actually watched him on the screen. Interesting. I had never seen him on the screen before. It was a good message though (Romans 12:1-2). To get an idea of just how contemporary the church is... their "offering plates" are popcorn tubs. Wonder if the church has to buy the containers even though no popcorn is in them?

After church we headed across the street to The Dubliner. It's an Irish pub that features live Irish music every night. Of course, seeing as how it was lunch time, there was no music playing. We grabbed a table outside on the patio and enjoyed our lunch while we mulled over plans for later in the day.

We then made our way to the International Spy Museum. Although the museum isn't free (unlike most other area attractions), it was worth the admission price. It was very interactive and engaging. Basically, at the beginning of the museum, guests are asked to study a "profile" of a spy that they'd like to be. As a guest makes his way through the museum (learning about spy techniques, weapons, tools, etc), there are games and "tests" to be completed for the mission's success. Pretty cool concept and definitely entertaining.

We stayed a couple hours in there and eventually decided to dart through the last bit of the museum to do some other activities. Mal and Dave decided to see the movie Superman at the Verizon Center, which was about three blocks away. Since Mike and I were a little slower making our way through the museum, we caught The Lake House, which started later.

Honestly, it felt good to just sit down and relax a bit after we had been going all day. The movie was okay. It was a bit slow at some points, and definitely had some "downer" moments. It was also a bit confusing (to me) in some places due to a time separation of two years between the two main characters. There were several points in the movie when I uttered my confusion to Mike. I think he followed it okay and tried filling in some of my holes at the end. I guess I get it (sounds convincing, eh?). If you're thinking of seeing it, I suggest waiting until it's available on rental. There are some better movies in the theatre now than Lake House.

After the movie, we shopped a bit in Chinatown. Then, we hopped on the metro and made our way to Adams Morgan. It's a "neighborhood" in DC. It was there that we took the guys to their first Ethiopian experience. We ate at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant. I wrote of it back in March (the 20th) when Mal and I visited it before. It's an overall fun experience and I think the guys enjoyed it enough.



(Enjoying Ethiopian)



The evening wrapped as we detoured for ice cream on the way home (well, Mal and Dave got ice cream- Mike and I were too full). By the time we arrived home it was pretty late (approaching ten). We all cleaned up and watched a movie before crashing and burning.

It was a wonderful weekend. Definitely one that I was still recovering from on Monday. I may be caught up on sleep at this point. It's still debatable.

No comments: