Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Whoa. Lots to write about...

There's been a lot happening lately. In this post, I will write of: last weekend, plans for tonight, and the (drumroll, please) vacation plans!

The weekend was fast and furious. Brooke and Heather arrived soon after Dave did on Friday evening. By seven, all five of us were on the way to Bistro Italiano. Yes, it's true, we live there. We arrived and were disappointed (well, Mal and I were) that our favorite server, Cliff, no longer works there. Cliff was awesome. He knew what we always ordered and has a great personality. Instead, we had Kato, Krato, something along those lines... and it was his second day. Poor guy. Bistro has a small dining room that has about 15 tables. It's the server's job to cover them all. And little Krato wasn't doing such a fabulous job.

Mal and I were discussing our experience as we waited (patiently) for our salads and garlic bread. We couldn't help but note that everytime we bring guests from out of town with us, the service isn't quite up to par. This of course, was no fault of Cliff's, rather due to his absence. Friday night was no exception to this "guest" rule.

Dinner was tasty and, in the end, complimented upon by Brooke, Heather, and Dave. That's what matters... that it was good tasting to them. Mal and I are always pleased with Bistro's food.

Mal and Dave went shopping for camping gear (which they used on Saturday in Deleware) and Brooke, Heather, and I went to rent some movies in Eastern Market. Since they were tired from the drive, I didn't mind chilling out at home and watching a flick. So, we walked to Eastern Market and I showed them around. We rented Prime and Shopgirl. When Mal and Dave returned home, with camping gear in tow, the five of us (and Drew) watched Prime.

The movie was okay. Certainly had some funny moments, but overall, it's definitely just worth renting (as opposed to paying an arm and a leg and seeing it in the theatre). Some parts were really drawn out and more than one person was heard saying, "When is this movie going to end?" Hmm, not the best sign of a perfectly timed movie.

On Saturday, Mal and Dave left for Deleware to camp. Brooke, Heather, and I left the house at 11:30 and headed for the museums. We hit the National Museum of Natural History and the National Museum of American History. The museums were fantastic. My hands-down favorite exhibit was in the Natural History Museum's "Department of Mineral Sciences" room. In the room was the Hope Diamond and other beautifully exquisite treasures. Hey, a girl can dream.











Brooke and Heather in the Museum of Natural History.














Heather and I are shopping in Union Station.







When we finished at the museums, we quickly headed to the National Theatre where I knew of a (free!) show playing that evening. It was first come, first serve for tickets. So, we got there early. The show began after six and we arrived shortly after five. Good thing, too, because only seven other people behind us in line were let in to the theatre. We barely got seats. The show was entertaining and, after a long day of walking, it felt really good to just sit.

After the show, we hopped on the metro and rode it back to Eastern Market. I had a Thai restaurant in mind that I'd been wanting to try. I'd heard great things about it and by the end of the meal, no one was disappointed. It was delicious. I had Shrimp Pad Thai as my entree and had a peach sorbet dessert. The food presentation was as beautiful as the taste was delightful.

After dinner, the three of us walked home, exhausted and defeated from our busy day. We planned on watching Shopgirl, but opted to just go to bed instead. Saturday ended a little after one in the morning.

Sunday came. Brooke's parents are from Richmond (as written in previous blogs) and wanted to spend a little time with her. So, her mother drove into DC and stole her away for a few hours. Heather and I went to church. We met Drew and his mom (who was also visiting for the weekend, though not staying with us) there and afterwards the four of us came back to the apartment for lunch. After lunch, Heather and Drew's mom (separetely) left for NC.

Once again, it was just us DC natives. Ha ha. I don't think I moved from the couch (very much) for the rest of the evening. I was so tired after the weekend rush. It felt amazing to just veg out. Eventually, Mal and Dave arrived home from their trip and rehashed it for Drew and me. It sounded like fun and the two of them were tired also. At about six o'clock, all four of us headed upstairs and we all took naps until later in the evening!

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend.

Now... as for tonight. Mal, Drew, and I have plans to join one of Drew's coworkers for a special film. At a theatre a few stops away, we will be taking in an "invitation only" documentary. The film is about Iraqi terrorists and it follows the everyday life of some terrorists and lets the audience peek inside their world. It should be very interesting and the directors are actually going to be there this evening for a "question and answer" time afterwards.

I'll be sure to write about it and share some of the insights gained from the viewing.

As mentioned at the beginning of this posting... I will now touch on vacation plans. I am so excited about our December destination. Mal and I booked our condo in St. Thomas!! It was booked today and we are anticipating the trip from December 9-16. It's gonna be a blast. Check out where we'll be staying.

Originally, we were heading to Lake Tahoe, which would have also been fun, be it cold. I am more excited about St. Thomas because I don't do cold well. I will be able to lie on the white sand in my bathing suit and in December. Wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since the Hope Diamond is supposed to be bad luck for the owner I used to think we should give it away to another country - our contry has been going downhill ever since we acquired it!!!

Meredith said...

Hmm, didn't know about this superstition. Know what, though? It sure fits perfectly with the Hope's timeline. We have been going downhill since then! Scary... ;)