Friday, August 04, 2006

On the Road Again...

Once again, it's another Friday that I find myself perched at the edge of my office chair, anticipating a road-rage filled drive down I-95. Thoughts of brake lights, middle fingers, and over-heated cars in the emergency lane consume my mind as I stand to face its reality in less than two hours. This highway has a special place in my heart- even if it's the dark, shadowy, never voiced place. It's a blessing and a curse rolled into a barrel-lined stretch of asphalt.

The blessing being what's at its end. Familiar faces, places, and new memories to be made. The curse... well, if you've ever ridden on I-95 on a Friday afternoon, you understand that no words can describe it. Actually, it envokes images similar to those in Lord of the Rings, Aladdin, and Joe Versus the Volcano. You know, having to jump from one floating rock to another (or ride a magic carpet aka Pontiac Bonneville) in bubbling magma, keeping your eye on the goal (going around the slow truck in the left hand lane before you reach the other in the right), and conquering it without getting burned by the hell pit (or speeding ticket) surrounding you.

Yes, it is this that I will be facing shortly.

I'm going to NC for the weekend. It's a trip that I'm looking forward to. I'll be spending this evening with Mike. I'm actually meeting him at his office, so I'll get to see where he works before we begin our evening plans. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll attend a friend's wedding. Surprisingly, it's the first one this year to which I've been invited. Last year, there was an influx of invitations and people buzzing with matrimonial conversations. I can't say that I miss it, but the energy is contagious once the festivities are underway.

Mike is flying to the Bahamas on Saturday while I'm riding to Raleigh for the wedding (hmm, I think he got the better deal). Saturday evening I'll get to catch up with friends and family after the wedding. Not sure what we'll get into, but it will be fun. Sunday, I'll get to go to my church (yay!) before leaving in the late afternoon.

Mal and Drew are going to Wilmington for the weekend. Drew's friend from work and Dave will be going with them. They are staying in Drew's mom's beach house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm guessing you won't check this today, but if you do, vin and i are in winston just for the day for his mom's BD. give my cell phone a call if you're around and we can meet up!

Meredith said...

Hey K!

You should have called me! Yeah, I just checked this message. Next time?