Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Little Catching Up to Do

I've been MIA. On hiatus. Trying to get y'all "detoxed" from my blog. With the new job around the corner, there will be no sitting at my desk and writing posts. No more CNN on demand or Myspace. The phone will act as more than a paperweight. I will "untrain" myself from eagerly awaiting the mail carrier and something to do.

It's true- I have high expectations of where I'm going. I'd bet all the money that I have (thanks to living here and being paid less than what I made back home, that's not too much right now) that I'll be busier at CCCU than here. Thank heavens. "The Jefferson's" theme song is running through my head right now.

The weekend was fun. Mal wasn't around (stinker), because she went to Richmond. However, Drew and I managed (barely, Sister!) without her. On Friday, I stopped and bought a bottle of champagne before going home. I couldn't help but find the irony in almost getting hit by this moron in a Honda two blocks from the apartment. Carrying my bottle of bubbly, talking on my phone, and walking (with the right of way)- I had to literally jump back as he plowed ahead, with his face turned away from me, into the intersection. What an idiot. I was slightly miffed that I didn't have a free hand to pound on his car as he missed rolling over my feet by centimeters. Alas, I digress...

I arrived home (after seeing my life, and that of my champagne bottle, flash before my eyes) and Drew and I hung out for a bit. Then, we toasted the bottle away and went dancing in Georgetown. Drew is a great dancer and, despite my few moves, always manages to make me feel pretty decent as his partner. We got back to the apartment shortly after one and watched TV before calling it a night.

Saturday was spent sleeping in before Drew and I set out for the National Portrait Gallery. Our plan was to take in the art and from there go make some. We walked the thirty minutes to Chinatown and arrived with several hours to spare. Thirty minutes into our art adventure, Drew said he was hungry. So, we left the museum in search of food.

As we munched on sandwiches, our eyes beheld what would distract us for the next four hours. Stores... right across the street and as far down as we could see. Of course, one of my favorites (Ann Taylor) was flashing and calling my name. What started out as, "we'll duck in there real fast," eventually became, "I can't believe we spent all that money and never made it back to the museum." Yeah, we were weak.

After blowing our money (aka. breaking out our charge cards a couple of times), we rented two movies and went home. We watched "Amelie" (a wonderful French film) and "Run, Lola, Run" (a butterfly-effect German film). Both were well made films, but I absolutely loved the first.

On Sunday, we went to church and then to a "Meet and Greet" luncheon that the church hosted. It was there that I met a few people and devoured a slice of pizza. The rest of the afternoon was spent napping and relaxing. Then, in the early evening, Drew and I set out for Joy of Motion to tackle their Hip-Hop class again. I can't say that I was any better the second time around, but the routine sure seemed easier to grasp. Judging by the soreness that I felt for a couple days afterwards, I also got a good workout. The night ended with yummy Thai food and quality conversation.

Monday night was a break from the norm (as if there really is a norm here). I went with "DC Dave" (a friend of ours that lives nearby and is eventually going to St Thomas with us) to Banana Cafe. Steve was playing the piano and we (and about six of his other "groupies") stopped in to hear him tickle the ivories. It was a fun time had by all as Steve entertained us with his "out of the box" piano bar tunes.

There was no Billy Joel or Elton John. The air was filled with Radiohead, Weezer, and Journey (my request), among others. The bartender kept requesting Elton John, but Steve would not have it. Maybe that's why he didn't get any free drinks? Anyways, it was fun and led to some karaoke performances by most of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe if you wrote about my life, it would seem more exciting. you've always got something fun happening! foreign films? thai? dancing? ::sigh::