Saturday, April 22, 2006

D.C. Days One and Two

Well, I certainly have some things to report.

Yesterday and today I have walked my tail off. I've been to the Senate building and put in my application there. Was told that it's very competitive (I knew this) and that they would call me if something came available for which I am qualified. I applied for three areas: press, administrative, and legislative. The lady in the placement office seemed to think I was most qualified for admin. and added that an admin. position made more money. Okay.

I also stopped by the Post Office and inquired about positions. They gave me an address and number to call. I will... it's just not the most exciting job idea. Last, I grabbed an application to the Federal Senate Credit Union. They are hiring for some positions in Arlington, which is a hop from Capitol Hill.

No news yesterday regarding the two apartments we put in for.

Last night Mal worked late and I entertained myself by napping and watching tv until she arrived. Then, we joined three guys on her hall and we went to eat Mexican. Yummy. Had enough left over that it will make a good lunch or midnight snack one day before I leave.

Today I slept until 9:15 and then dressed to meet one of the guys on the hall at 10:30. He works in the House and took me around over there. I applied for a Scheduling job and then we went downstairs to their HR and I filled out an application for general positions. It works like the Senate side where I spoke to the lady yesterday. The House side gets paid less that the Senate. We'll see. Anything would be nice at this point.

I dropped off my completed application at the Credit Union and met Mal for lunch.

One of the landlords (at the two bedroom apartment we applied for) called and offered us the apartment. It's about ten minute drive to it from where Mal lives now. It's real nice inside and completely new. We are still waiting to hear from the other apartment's landlord. It would be more convenient since it's right on the Hill. We should hear from her today also.

We told the first lady that we'll have an answer for her tonight. It's in a good location and the rent includes utilities, which is a bonus. It's in an up and coming section of town. The landlords said that a new shopping area and restaurants are being built down the road (within walking distance).

I got a parking ticket today. Arrg. Managed to go last time without one, but got busted today. Thirty bucks.

I'm getting ready to head to the Chamber of Commerce. Another intern in this building gave me a lady's name. It involves a ride on the Metro, which will be nice. My feet are kind of sore from walking in these shoes for two days.

1:18 PM - 1 Comments - 0 Kudos -

kristina marino
i heard about those parking tickets... vin & i are going to annapolis mid-may and wanted to go to dc but decided against it (not enough time)
Posted by kristina marino on Thursday, April 13, 2006 at 4:40 PM

No comments: