Saturday, April 22, 2006

Random Subjects Shared

I stayed up way too late watching North Country, which stars Charlize Theron, Sissy Spacek, and other famously familiar actors (as mentioned before I am not a professional critic, therefore I do not have to know everyone's name). Great movie about sexual harrassment in the workplace before laws were enforced to protect women (and/or men). The movie is based on a true story about a mining town and how they are disrupted when one woman stands up for herself after she and her female coworkers are being brutally harrassed at work. Not exactly a real perk-you-up kinda movie, but definitely one to catch. Made me appreciate my job more and my freedom as a woman in a corporate world. I think Charlize Theron was nominated for an Oscar for her performance?

Regardless of my lack of sleep (due to my late night viewing), I had a great day. Work went by pretty quickly. I spent about an hour talking to a WW II veteran. He approached me with questions about his account. After 15 minutes of going over it, we started talking about him. It was very interesting. I learned quite a bit about WW II. His memory was so vivid- giving me details of dates and moments during the war.

Talking to people is one thing I love about my job. I love hearing stories and I really enjoyed listening to him. He told me about the war, his farm, his grandkids, his wife, etc. He even cried a couple of times as he reminisced about the war and men he fought with.

After I talked with him I went to lunch. After I returned from lunch, it seemed that the afternoon flew and it was time to go home. Yay.

Tonight was our last night of Bible study and talking about Captivating (John & Stasi Eldridge). Really is a great book. Plans are to break for a week and start a new one. I will update as we dive into it.

I began painting a mailbox for one of my coworkers. I haven't painted one in a while. It's custom, as she wants me to paint one with a goat and the name of her husband's farm on it. I've done one side, although it does need some touch ups and details added. The other side will be my task for tomorrow evening. Then I'll complete it with small details. I enjoy painting. It's been too long since I made anything- since April of last year when I took an oil class for kicks. I'm using acrylics on the box and will spray it with a clear coating to prevent weathering. Upon its completion, maybe I'll get around to snapping a shot of it and posting it on here. We'll see.

No promises or guarantees.

Two more days until Friday. Hallelujah. The plan is to head to D.C. after work. I'm debating, however, on leaving on Saturday morning instead. Time will tell. Spontaneity is my forte.

No comments: